Saturday, May 3, 2008

Partial Human Construction....

I think the number three is partially a human construction because without our existence, units of items would still be able to exist in such a formation. However it is us, the human race, who give it the title "Three" designating the formation from others by different titles. So, I think the certain grouping of items in such a way is not a human construction, while the title we give it is constructed. I hope that wasn't too redundant! Some of these are hard to explain, but that's the point I suppose.

I have a similar attitude toward Music. I feel that music is partly a human construction because when we hear something which provokes aesthetic emotion towards the sound we think of it in our terms as "music." However, songbirds chirping may also provoke this emotion and exists independently of us in nature. To the birds it is not music, but their language and means of communication. I really like Prof. Johnson's definition of music, "the creative organization of sound." It applies the term "organized sound" from our reading and adds the element of necessary creativity to make something new and likable to at least one other individual.

Time is another partial human construction because it may exist if we do not, but humans have constructed means to measure and value "time" as is passes at 60 minutes per hour into the future. I think moments are measured differently on each planet and solar system dependent upon orbit of the largest influencing gravitational body. The universe as a whole however, expands and ages independent of the smaller systems. If I had to choose only one and not a middle, I would pick not a human construction over entirely human construction because time would continue if humans became extinct and our clocks stopped.

No comments: