Thursday, February 28, 2008

Passionately Neutral...

In my opinion class was great yesterday. I don't think I had been present for a session in which almost everyone had something to say and helped the discussion. It was interesting to hear everyone's take on the reading and how the outcome of class was a general agreement and understanding of the terminology brought forward, such as faith vs courage. I liked listening to the different majors and experiences of fellow students and how this shaped their stance on the reading of culture wars. It was very important we were all discussing these terms and the baggage which come with them as well as other words to use instead. I'm glad people can consider that there are individuals working in the scientific community who would characterize themselves as religious, and of any sect, not just Christianity.

I think the article seemed quite biased away from supernaturalism, more so than just looking for the "ideological, neutral public space for secular services." It just doesn't seem like the author was really in neutral ground when composing the article, which is completely fine, I'm merely touching on my notion of the writing, which was passionate of the topic. I think the most important point of the second section is what we mostly talked about in class. The priority to stop this gap in our culture is the need for legislature to base law and public policies on what we may all agree is real and existing on this Earth and what we may all collectively know to be true.

1 comment:

David K. Braden-Johnson said...

Perhaps Clark means to say that we SHOULD agree about the reality and power of our knowledge of worldly things (rather than we simply do).