Friday, February 15, 2008

"There is Time to Kill Today..."

I agree with Kant’s explanation of time as a form of phenomena which we merely perceive moments and events within. This interests me because of the many different ways we are all trying to understand it and make our own conclusions and agreements or disagreements. This reminds me also of Einstein’s theory of relativity, slightly, and how moments of perceived “time” seems different to each organism at each given interval. I have heard the phrase “time stood still,” and many of us, including me, have felt this way. Another is how “time flies by” when we are actively enjoying an activity or event. I agree time is so much more than a four letter word.

I also like the causal theory and how Event A and B are related. It makes sense to me, and I understand how outgoing events originate from a single correlated event however, incoming may not be. Hume’s stance on cause preceding effect is something I can relate to, it does seem conventional, but I have had a sense of an action before it took place, although that would make one wonder if the sense in turn made the event happen, even if it is not originally considered an event. I can’t really imagine incoming, correlated events such as the rock and pond example reversed.

Possibly conflicting with this is the concept of parallel time and parallel universes. This does seem completely within reason to me somehow, probably based on my understanding of how we all have different perceptions of the world we live in, like realism, but also every action causing an equal and opposite reaction. I like the thought of circular time, just because an event is a cause which makes an effect, which in turn would become a cause for another effect and so on. I cannot picture “time” or events not occurring, because nothing is still something if it is in mind and therefore either time or something within “time” would always take place.

1 comment:

David K. Braden-Johnson said...

I like your last sentence in particular. Thinking of "nothing" is an event that takes times, so presupposes both the passage of time and the existence of things that move through space.